China Daily

News> Asia> Content
Monday, July 17, 2017, 18:24
UAE minister denies any hacking of Qatar
By Reuters
Monday, July 17, 2017, 18:24 By Reuters

UAE state minister for foreign affairs, Anwar Gargash, speaks during a press conference at his office in Dubai on June 24, 2017. Gargash on July 17, 2017 said the UAE was not responsible for an alleged hack of Qatari websites which helped spark a month-long diplomatic rift with Doha. (Giuseppe Cacace / AFP)

DUBAI / WASHINGTON - The United Arab Emirates was not responsible for an alleged hack of Qatari websites which helped spark a month-long diplomatic rift with Doha, UAE's minister of state for foreign affairs Anwar Gargash said on Monday. 

Speaking at a forum in London, Gargash also said the UAE would not escalate its boycott by asking companies to choose between doing business with it or with Qatar. 

On Sunday, the Washington Post reported that the UAE arranged for Qatari government social media and news sites to be hacked in late May in order to post fiery but false quotes linked to Qatar's emir, prompting a diplomatic crisis. 

The emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, had been quoted in May as praising Hamas and saying that Iran was an "Islamic power", the Post reported. In response, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain cut diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar on June 5, accusing it of supporting terrorism.

This file photo taken on December 06, 2016 shows Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani attending a Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) summit in the Bahraini capital Manama. (Stringer / AFP)

Qatar said in late May that hackers had posted fake remarks by the emir, an explanation rejected by Gulf states.

The Post reported that US intelligence officials learned last week of newly analyzed information that showed that top UAE government officials discussed the planned hacks on May 23, the day before they occurred.

The officials said it was unclear if the UAE hacked the websites or paid for them to be carried out, the newspaper reported. The Post did not identify the US intelligence officials it spoke to for the report.

UAE Ambassador Yousef al-Otaiba denied the report in a statement, saying it was "false", the Post said.

"What is true is Qatar’s behavior. Funding, supporting, and enabling extremists from the Taliban to Hamas and Qadafi. Inciting violence, encouraging radicalization and undermining the stability of its neighbors," the statement said.

The US State Department declined comment in response to a Reuters query.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation was previously known to be working with Qatar to probe the hacking.

Share this story