RT2018.gif

China Daily

Asia Pacific> Asia News> Content
Friday, January 11, 2019, 17:20
Myanmar court rejects appeal by jailed Reuters reporters
By Reuters
Friday, January 11, 2019, 17:20 By Reuters

This combo photo shows Reuters journalists Kyaw Soe Oo, left, and Wa Lone, being handcuffed as they are escorted by police out of the court in Yangon, Myanmar, Sept 3, 2018. A court in Myanmar on Jan 11, 2019 rejected the appeal of the two Reuters journalists, and maintained the seven-year prison terms they were sentenced to last year. (THEIN ZAW / FILE / AP)

YANGON — A Myanmar court on Friday rejected the appeal of two Reuters reporters sentenced to seven years in jail on charges of breaking the Official Secrets Act, saying the defense had not provided sufficient evidence to show they were innocent. 

Wa Lone, 32, and Kyaw Soe Oo, 28, were convicted by a lower court in September in a landmark case that has raised questions about Myanmar's progress towards democracy and sparked an outcry from diplomats and human rights advocates. 

Reporting is not a crime, and until Myanmar rights this terrible wrong, the press in Myanmar is not free, and Myanmar's commitment to rule of law and democracy remains in doubt

Stephen J. Adler, Editor-in-Chief, Reuters

"It was a suitable punishment," said High Court Judge Aung Naing, referring to the seven-year prison term meted out by the lower court. 

The defense has the option of making a further appeal to the country's supreme court, based in the capital Naypyitaw. 

"Today's ruling is yet another injustice among many inflicted upon Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo. They remain behind bars for one reason: those in power sought to silence the truth," said Reuters Editor-in-Chief Stephen J. Adler in a statement. 

ALSO READ: Myanmar defends court decision to jail Reuters journalists

"Reporting is not a crime, and until Myanmar rights this terrible wrong, the press in Myanmar is not free, and Myanmar's commitment to rule of law and democracy remains in doubt." 

In their appeal arguments made last month, defense lawyers had cited evidence of a police set-up and lack of proof of a crime. They told the appeal court the lower court that tried the case had wrongly placed the burden of proof on the defendants. 

The defense also said prosecutors had failed to prove the reporters gathered and collected secret information, sent information to an enemy of Myanmar or that they had an intention to harm national security. 

The EU ambassador to Myanmar said the ruling was a "miscarriage of justice and it gives us great concern for the independence of the justice system of Myanmar"

Khine Khine Soe, a legal officer representing the government, told the appeal hearing last month that the evidence showed the reporters had collected and kept confidential documents. She said they intended to harm national security and the national interest. 

The judge said on Friday "it was not acceptable" to say that the defendants had acted according to journalistic ethics. "It cannot be said that it was a set up," he said. 

READ MORE: Myanmar court refuses to dismiss charges against scribes

Standing outside the court building in Yangon where the judgment was pronounced, Kristian Schmidt, the EU ambassador to Myanmar, said the ruling was a "miscarriage of justice and it gives us great concern for the independence of the justice system of Myanmar". 

He called for Myanmar's president to have the journalists released immediately and unconditionally.

Kyaw Soe Oo's wife, Chit Su, said the ruling came as a surprise.

"We thought that they would be free today," she said. "We were expecting to welcome them in front of Insein Prison."

"I still believe that they will be free," she added.

Defense lawyer Than Zaw Aung, speaking after the ruling, said his team would discuss the option of a supreme court appeal with the two reporters. "We are very disappointed with the judgment," he said. 

Before their arrest, the reporters had been working on a Reuters investigation into the killing of 10 Rohingya Muslim men and boys by security forces and Buddhist civilians in western Myanmar's Rakhine State during an army crackdown that began in August 2017. 

The operation sent more than 730,000 Rohingya fleeing to Bangladesh, according to United Nations' estimates.


With inputs from Associated Press

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !